This site was set up in 2003 as a joke but also to highlight one of the bizarre possible side effects of global warming. Since that time climate change has become a hot topic for all responsible governments. The site hasn't been updated much since 2003 and we would like to invite readers to send us links to articles of interest. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Winter Olympics 2026 Application
by Stockholm–Åre in Sweden
Because of the wide range of sports covered in the Winter Olympics the Stockholm–Åre's bid requires multiple venues. Sweden already has a great winter sports infrastructure with amazing venues many of which require vey little upgrading. In fact over 90% of what is required is already in place and the only new build would be an ice-skating rink and ski area.
Sports and Locations
The Skiing and Snowboarding events would be held mostly in the region of Åre with some events taking place in Stockholm’s Hammarbybacken. In February 2019 Alpine World Cup ski races were held in Åre and Hammarbybacken.
Events to be covered in 2026
- Skiing including the Downhill, Super G and Slalom.
- Freestyle including Moguls, Aerials, Halfpipe and Slopestyle.
- Snowboarding including- Giant Slalom, Snowboard Cross and Big Air.
- Ice Hockey for the Ericsson Globe, Stockholm and in Scaniarinken, Södertälje.
- Figure Skating and short track skating would be held in the Tele2 multi-purpose stadium in Stockholm Globe City,
- Curling and longer distance Speed Skating would be held in a new stadium, the location of which has to be decided.
These would be held in Falun as they already have the necessary ski jumps. The Nordic combined would also be held there. The general cross-country skiing could also be held in Falun but it is most likely that it would be in Stockholm, Bisslinge or Hamra,
- Biathlon which involves cross-country skiing and target shooting
- Cross-Country Skiing
- Ski Jumping
- Nordic Combined consisting of cross-country skiing and ski jumping
Sweden has no facilities for these sports and a collaboration has been established with Sigulda in Latvia where their track for bobsleigh, luge and skeleton only requires some renovation work.
Visit Stockholm–Åre for more information on Sweden's bid for the Winter Olympics in 2026
Winter Olympics 2026
| Visualisation | Global Warming | Links |
En Français --> | Olympiques d'Hiver de 2026 | Visualisation! |
In Italiano --> | Giochi Olimpici d'Inverno 2026 | Visualizzazione! |
Auf Deutsch --> | Winterolympiade 2026 | Veranschaulichung |
Congratulations to Milan–Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, chosen for the Winter Olympics in 2026 as announced on 24 June 2019.
See a list of the other applicants that had expressed an interest in holding the 2026 Winter Olympics.