This site was set up in 2003 as a joke but also to highlight one of the bizarre possible side effects of global warming. Since that time climate change has become a hot topic for all responsible governments. The site hasn't been updated much since 2003 and we would like to invite readers to send us links to articles of interest. Contact email@example.com
- Winter Olympics: 6-22 February, 2026
- Winter Paralympics: 6-15 March, 2026
Winter Olympics 2026 Application
by Milano and Cortina in Italy
Milano and Cortina and the regions Lombardia, Veneto, Trento and Bolzano/Bozen are working hard to bring the 2026 Winter Olympic Games to Italy. There are 14 competition areas spread over 4 areas, Milano, Valtellina, Cortina and Val di Fiermme. In addition there are non-competitve venues including 3 Olympic Villages.
The opening ceremony would be held in the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza (San Siro) a football stadium with a capacity of 80,000. The venue is served by 2 metro lines. The Olympic Village served by Metro Line 3 is situated in Porta Romana.
There are three competition venues:
- PalaItalia, a brand new facility to accommodate 15,000 spectators, will be built in Santa Giulia. This will host the men's hockey and all the hockey finals.
- The Milano Hockey Arena is being renovated and will hold 7,000 spectators.
- The Mediolanum Forum located in Assago will be the venue for Figure Skating and Short Track Skating
Four venues will host the Alpine events, Skiing, Snowboard and Freestyle
- Bormio – men's Alpine Skiing
- Livigno – Snowboard and Freestyle to be held in the 3 venues - Carosello 3000, Mottolino and Sitas-Tagliede.
Val di Fiemme
- Baselga di Piné – Ice Rink Piné. Speed Skating
- Tesero – Tesero Cross-country Centre. Nordic skiing
- Predazzo – Trampolino 'G Dal Ben Ski Jump. Used every year for the world cup, the venue can host 20,000 spectators.
- Olympic Stadium, Cortina – Curling
- Tofane, Cortina – women's Alpine Skiing
- Sliding Centre 'E Monti', Cortina – Bobsleigh, Luge and Skeleton
- Anterselva/Antholz – Südtirol Arena. Biathlon
The Closing Ceremony
The Arena di Verona, the largest Roman amphitheatre in northern Italy has been chosen for the closing ceremony.
Visit Milano-Cortina Dossier for more information on Italy's bid for the Winter Olympics in 2026
Winter Olympics 2026
| Visualisation | Global Warming | Links |
En Français --> | Olympiques d'Hiver de 2026 | Visualisation! |
In Italiano --> | Giochi Olimpici d'Inverno 2026 | Visualizzazione! |
Auf Deutsch --> | Winterolympiade 2026 | Veranschaulichung |
Congratulations to Milan–Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, chosen for the Winter Olympics in 2026 as announced on 24 June 2019.
See a list of the other applicants that had expressed an interest in holding the 2026 Winter Olympics.